Paula Deen’s Hot Chocolate Cake Recipe
This recipe was first published in Paula Deen’s Christmas 2012 Magazine. To purchase this magazine, visit hoffmanmediastore.com.
Hot Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
1-1/2 cups butter, softened
2-1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1 (1-ounce) package hot cocoa mix
Marshmallow Crème Filling (recipe below)
Fluffy Chocolate Frosting (recipe below)
Large marshmallows, unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour and next four ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and cocoa mix until smooth.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
6. Spread Marshmallow Crème Filling in between layers. Spread Fluffy Chocolate Frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with marshmallows and sprinkle with cocoa powder, if desired.
Marshmallow Crème Filling
Makes about 1-1/2 cups
1 cup butter, softened
2 (7-ounce) jars marshmallow crème
In a medium bowl, combine butter and marshmallow crème at medium speed with a mixer until smooth.
Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
Makes about 4 cups
4 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup butter, softened
3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In a small saucepan, combine chocolate and cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and chocolate mixture at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Use frosting immediately.