LUXE Brings Contemporary Design Trends to Downtown Pittsburgh Living
Explore two city spaces that epitomize clean, contemporary design trends
By Liz Petoniak
Photography: Michael Fornataro; Luxe
Downtown living is an increasingly popular trend in Pittsburgh — and for good reason. Chic and new living spaces are under construction; three major sports stadiums and myriad cultural institutions are within walking distance; and innovative restaurants and bars continue to crop up. The city is in a revitalized state, offering fresh residences to match. LUXE, one of Pittsburgh’s premier kitchen and bath retailers with locations in East Liberty and Downtown, is a go-to spot for those seeking contemporary, cutting-edge design and custom work. Tyler Folnsbee, design technician, led us through two of the team’s recent Downtown projects — one at The Residences at Three PNC Plaza and one at Gateway Towers. “They’re great examples of what LUXE has to offer,” says co-founder Brent Hugus. “We’re bringing the latest in design trends and knowledge to the Pittsburgh market to work hand in hand with designers, architects, and the consumer.” In between gawking at the astonishing city view and the stunning interior layout, we snapped some photos and got the scoop on the latest design details and trends.
LUXE, 5991 Broad St., East Liberty. 412.661.1416. | 200 Fifth Ave., Market Square. 412.281.3712. | luxepittsburgh.com
THE RESIDENCES AT THREE PNC PLAZA
For this custom job, a flat located in the condominium space above the Fairmont Pittsburgh Hotel, LUXE worked closely with Jennifer Pavlik of DLA + Architecture & Interior Design to create a kitchen and three bathrooms just as spectacular as the view outside. With a focus on entertaining, every aspect of the space, and especially the luxurious materials, is meant to wow guests.
1. The island mixes elements. The three-inch solid walnut breakfast bar top is an unexpected choice when matched with the custom metal frame that holds the cantilevering exotic granite Vangura countertop, but it works seamlessly.
2. LUXE created a custom color palette for this Mixed-Up Mosaics hand-cut glass backsplash.
3. The Eggersmann USA cabinets serve as the foundation for the kitchen. “There’s no hardware,” says Folnsbee. “Everything is really clean.” A simple touch at the drawers’ and doors’ corners opens and closes them automatically.
German-made cabinetry line Eggersmann USA offers a range of options for organizing utensils and kitchen tools.
This suave bar area, constructed with a Cambria quartz countertop, serves as the perfect spot to enjoy the view of Downtown.
THE POWDER ROOM
This powder room proves that style doesn’t have to be sacrificed in a small space. The Laufen wall-mounted toilet saves space and allows other elements to shine — like the Electric Mirror medicine cabinet with a built-in TV. And, the reflection of the Bruck LED pendant lights on the Trend USA glass mosaic tile is eye-catching and totally unique.
THE GUEST BATHROOM
A round, back-lit Electric Mirror illuminates the guest bathroom. The room exudes a colorful, hip vibe with the custom-made, zebra wood, wall-mounted vanity; custom aqua blue glass top; and recycled Trend USA floor tile, made of glass and quartz.
LUXE installed Hansgrophe AXOR faucets throughout the apartment.
THE MASTER BATH
For the master bath, LUXE designed a spa-like space in a soothing color palette with high-tech features, including the 30-inch-by-30-inch Hansgrophe AXOR rain shower head and a fully integrated INAX toilet.
The LUXE team designed an 84-inch custom wall-mounted vanity with under-cabinet lighting. His and hers sinks, paired with two electronic lift medicine cabinets from The Furniture Guild’s Nuvo line, end the war for space in the bathroom, while the Island Stone cladding full-wall backsplash adds dimension and texture to the room.
After a long week, the free-standing BainUltra ThermoMasseur air bathtub with a Chromatherapy LED lighting system, is the chicest way to get some rest and relaxation.
GATEWAY TOWERS: KITCHEN
To create this dream kitchen, LUXE first opened up the space by destroying a wall separating the room from the living area. What prompted the makeover? “The owner came into the LUXE showroom and liked what she saw. She said, ‘No one else is doing this in Pittsburgh,’” says Folnsbee.
1. LUXE’s team installed a wall of Eggersmann USA cabinets in a gray gloss lacquer, which houses the Miele oven, microwave, and a 70-bottle-plus wine storage unit, all from Don’s Appliances. The stylish unit also conceals the fridge, sink, and the washer and dryer. The ultra-contemporary kitchen is completed without knobs and pulls, giving the space a streamlined look and feel.
2. The island, also Eggersmann USA, coordinates with the cabinets in a matte lacquer of the same color and is topped with “Silver Touch,” hot-rolled stainless steel. “It’s almost impossible to scratch, and it doesn’t take finger prints like normal stainless steel. Because it’s rolled, it comes with ‘imperfections’ built in, which gives it that cool look,” says Folnsbee.
3. Extraordinarily intuitive, the glass electric Gaggenau stovetop senses pots and pans and cooks through a magnetic field, while the downdraft ventilation hood retracts into the countertop, and recirculates and filters the air.
With the custom-fabricated metal cantilever support of the island, welded on-site, the Corian breakfast bar stands without legs to give it the appearance of floating.