Dive In: Summer Beauty Bag
By Liz Petoniak | Photographs from CHANEL, by Michael Fornataro
Summer is blazing towards us — is your makeup bag and hair regimen ready? Stock up on our best beauty buys to fight the sun and humidity, hand-selected for looking and feeling flawless on even the hottest of days.
1. CHANEL Le Volume de CHANEL Waterproof Mascara in Mirage, $32, Macy’s, Nordstrom, and chanel.com. This mascara proved its staying power, even through a day spent by the beach.
2. CHANEL Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Limited Edition Eyeshadow in Empreinte du Désert, $65, Macy’s, Nordstrom, and chanel.com. This palette of earthy, desert tones, embossed with sand dune-like waves, provides subtle dimension along with so many possibilities.
3. Tela Beauty Organics Frizz Buster Dry Texture Spray, $32, Philip Pelusi Salons and telanyc.com. Our editors loved this spray’s refreshing smell, 35 certified organic ingredients, and ability to de-frizz and de-frazzle our hair without disrupting its style.
4. CHANEL Le Vernis Longwear Nail Colour in Canotier, $28, Macy’s, Nordstrom, and chanel.com. Nails painted with a muted gold hue will complement all your warm weather outfits.
5. CHANEL Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long-Lasting Eyeliner in Sable, $32, Macy’s, Nordstrom, and chanel.com. Stunning on brown, blue, and green eyes alike, this copper shade, with a subtle shimmer, won’t fade throughout the day.
6. Nerium International Age-Defying Eye Serum, $80, Jeffrey Smith Salon. Chic sunglasses are no excuse to hide your eyes this summer. This serum works in just minutes to soften lines around the eyes and continues to fight aging, dark circles, and puffiness with ongoing use.
7. Kérastase Discipline Mousse Curl Idéal, $42, Jeffrey Smith Salon. For girls with curls who want a quick style, this mousse from Kérastase’s newest line delivers. Fight frizz and tame curls without the harmful heat of a blow-dryer or curling iron.
8. Kérastase Elixir Ultime Bi-Phase Voluptuous Beautifying Oil Mist, $58, Jeffrey Smith Salon. Finally, a hair oil that doesn’t weigh us down! This mist formula gives a lighter, shinier feel, while also providing volume to our locks with a blend of four key oils: argan, camellia, pracaxi, and maize.
9. Aveda new daily light guard defense fluid broad spectrum SPF 30, $42, La Pomponnée Beauty Artisans. Everyone’s heard the phrase “the best defense is a good offense.” It especially applies here with Aveda’s newest SPF formula that not only blocks UVA/UVB rays, but also defends against free-radical damage and works to build up the skin’s natural environmental barrier with kukui seed oil.
10. PCA Skin Weightless Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 45, $42, pcaskin.com. We appreciated the weightless feel and neutral scent (that didn’t at all remind us of traditional sunscreen) PCA Skin’s sunscreen aimed at oily and acne-prone skin types. Apply prior to makeup or sport it solo.
11. Hairdo Braided headband, $15, La Pomponnée Beauty Artisans. Headed from the pool to lunch? Pull your hair away from your face with a headband that poses as a cute braid for an instant hairstyle.