Trim, Tone, and Tuck with 3 Barre Exercises You Can Do at Home
With a high energy level and fun element that masks the fact that you are working out, dance-based fitness is a great way to stay healthy. Ashlee Lentini, instructor at Pure Barre Mt. Lebanon, showed us three simple moves that incorporate different dance aspects to engage different muscle groups. Put them all together for a full-body workout to try this February!
By Rachel Jones | Photographs by Michael Fornataro
Hair and Makeup by Bevin DeSantis, Posh Salon
FOCUS: Define the arms and the chest
- Arms are shoulder-distance apart and parallel.
- Bend elbows to 90 degrees, framing the face.
- Forearms draw together to touch, and open back to shoulder-distance for 20 seconds.
- Press up an inch, hold, repeat movement for 20 seconds.
- Press arms an inch to tempo for 20 seconds.
FOCUS: Slenderize outer seat and hip area
- Take a seat.
- Bring your right leg in front of you. Bend the knee to a 90-degree angle.
- Bring your left knee directly out to your side (in line with your hip) or slightly behind it. Draw your left heel as close to your seat as possible.
- Point the toes on both feet.
- Press your fingertips into the floor on either side of your right thigh.
- Squeeze your seat to rotate your hip forward and hold, rotate hold, repeat movement for 30 seconds.
- Float your left leg above the ground, lift your leg up and hold, repeat movement for 30 seconds.
- Flex your left foot, press your leg back and hold, repeat movement for 30 seconds.
- Repeat all on opposite side.
FOCUS: Shape and tone the top of the thigh
- Find a stable support, such as a table or countertop. Place your right hand on the support and your left arm straight out from your chest.
- Walk your feet parallel and hip-distance apart.
- Extend your left leg in front of you, lifting it towards hip height.
- Keep your left leg straight with a pointed toe.
- Soften your right knee.
- Lower your leg for 2 counts (tap toes on the floor), lift your leg for 2 counts. Repeat for 20 seconds.
- Hold your leg at hip height, and draw small circles for 15 seconds.
- Reverse the circles for 15 seconds.
- Lift your leg up and hold, repeat movement for 20 seconds. (Bonus Option: Come to tiptoe on standing leg!)
- Lift your leg to tempo for 20 seconds.
- Repeat all on opposite side.
Try these moves and more at a Pure Barre class near you!
:: Pure Barre Mt. Lebanon, 1612 Cochran Road, Mt. Lebanon. 412.248.2424.
:: Pure Barre Shadyside, 5986 Centre Ave., Shadyside. 412.248.3333.
:: Pure Barre Wexford, 12091 Perry Highway, Wexford. 724.719.9191.
:: Pure Barre Peters Township, 4000 Washington Road, #108, McMurray. 724.941.8663. purebarre.com.
Find a barre class to fit every personality with these great options at The Barre Code in February:
TBC — Bootcamp workout of three sections of strength training bookended by two sets of high-intensity cardio intervals
Mondays, 6-6:50 a.m.
Tuesdays, 9:30-10:20 a.m.
Wednesdays, 5:30-6:20 p.m.
Fridays, 6-6:50 p.m.
BARRE CODE — The Barre Code’s flagship, full-body workout
Mondays, 7-7:50 a.m. and 6:30-7:20 p.m.
Tuesdays, 7-7:50 a.m. and 12-12:50 p.m. and 5:30-6:20 p.m. and 7:30-8:20 p.m.
Wednesdays, 6-6:50 a.m. and 9:30-10:20 a.m. and 6:30-7:20 p.m.
Thursdays, 7-7:50 a.m. and 12-12:50 p.m.
Fridays, 6:10-7 a.m. and 9:30-10:20 a.m. and 5-5:50 p.m.
Saturdays, 8-8:50 a.m. and 10-10:50 a.m.
Sundays, 10-10:50 a.m. and 4-4:50 p.m.
BRAWL — Intense cardio kickboxing class that targets thighs and glutes
Mondays, 9:30-10:20 a.m. and 5:30-6:20 p.m.
Wednesdays, 7-7:50 a.m.
Saturdays, 9-9:50 a.m.
Sundays, 9-9:50 a.m.
INTERVAL — Segments of high-intensity intervals interspersed with strength work
Mondays, 7:30-8:20 p.m.
Tuesdays, 6-6:50 a.m. and 6:30-7:20 p.m.
Thursdays, 6-6:50 a.m. and 9:30-10:20 p.m.
Saturdays, 11-11:50 p.m.
BARRE-DIO — Choreographed sequence of cardio moves to work glutes, abs, and arms
Wednesdays, 7:30-8:20 p.m.
BURN — Similar to a Barre Code class but in a 95-degree room
Thursdays, 6-6:50 p.m. and 7-7:50 p.m.